A little about myself: I am a full-time student and I am currently in my last year at college. I have two quarters left and this year I am in the honors program working on a seniors thesis in labor economics. I am a work-study at the Graduate Division and I get to work with the staff and see what graduate students go through before and during their time at UCI. I also am also a microeconomics tutor to approximately 25 students.
Last winter quarter, my third year at UC Irvine, I started entertaining the idea of going to graduate school for a Ph.D in economics. Why straight into a Ph.D? Well, apparently the two years in a master's program in economics are equivalent to the first two years in a Ph.D. program, and I figure I would like to go all the way through with the doctoral degree. I don't exactly know what I want to do afterwards, but I'd like to eventually research and teach at a university abroad in a developing country.
There are many steps to be taken in order to look good in the application. So I've decided to take a year off between graduation and graduate school. During the year off I hope to research at a summer program, intern at a think-tank like PPIA, take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam), write my statement of purpose, obtain my letters of recommendation, and finally apply to graduate programs. This blog will outline everything I do...so, let the journey begin.

No comments:
Post a Comment